Blue-Green Algae – How Toxins in Water Can Affect your Pet
If you take your dog swimming in lakes or ponds during the summer, listen up! During hot weather in late summer and early fall, lakes and ponds can accumulate a dangerous type of algae that floats seemingly innocent on the surface. This species grows in “blooms” that give the water a blue-green color.
What is it?
Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) is a microscopic organism found in freshwater ponds, lakes, and streams. It can also accumulate in containers of stagnant rain water left outside. Not all types of algae are poisonous but blue-green algae is; this type produces toxins called microcystins and anatoxins. These toxins are very dangerous to a variety of different species such as humans, birds, cattle, horses, dogs, and cats. You should never let your dog swim in or drink water that could be potentially contaminated with this deadly toxin.
Symptoms of blue-green algae poisoning depend on which toxin (microcystin vs anatoxin) is present. Symptoms of blue-green algae that produce microcystins are:
Symptoms of blue-green algae that produce anatoxins are:
- Excessive salivation
- Inability to walk
- Muscle rigidity
- Difficulty breathing
Prevention is Critical
It’s impossible to know if the algae you see floating on top of a pond or lake is poisonous or benign without laboratory testing. For this reason, it’s in your dog’s best interest to play it safe and find a different body of water with no visible signs of algae on the surface. Even tiny amounts (1-2 mouthfuls) can be potentially fatal. Death can follow within thirty to sixty minutes of exposure due to respiratory paralysis.
Never let your dog swim in any lake or pond with visible algae on the surface and always provide fresh water for your pets so they are never tempted to drink out of containers of stagnant contaminated water.
Sadly, the prognosis for blue-green algae toxicity is poor. Some dogs die before they have time to receive medical attention. Aggressive and immediate treatment is essential to treat this fact-acting poison due to the rapid onset of symptoms. There is no antidote for blue-green algae poisoning so if you believe your dog may have been exposed, get to the nearest animal hospital ASAP. Like with any other poison, the sooner the dog is able to have treatment the better the prognosis.
“Dr. Yetter’s professional & compassionate care enabled us to have Lady as a member of our family for over 17 years. Through his knowledge, extensive research, and willingness to reach out, he provided Lady with a long quality life in spite of numerous health issues. We are eternally grateful.”
— Diane & Terry Svob
“Dr. Yetter and the staff at Prairie Ridge have given excellent care to my family of pets for about 20 years. I always feel comfortable asking questions and knowing I will get complete, caring answers. Dr. Yetter researches to find the best treatment options. My cats and dog are family to me, and we trust Prairie Ridge Veterinary Clinic.”
“We are so grateful for the hard work and extra research Dr. Yetter did for our Tansy-cat to find out why she wasn’t eating. If there is a time when your most precious friend is ill and you need to trust someone to care for them, Dr. Yetter is definitely that person! He went above and beyond to do everything he could to save our beautiful Tansy.”
— Tom & Bev Berberett
“My pets have been patients of Dr. Yetter and his great staff for many years, and I have always been grateful for their efficiency and helpfulness. Having good care right here in Havana is a big plus!”
— Jan McFarlin
“I began to bring in my labs into PRVC when I started working there, and was happy to have such a caring and knowledgeable doctor to take care of two of my best friends. It always amazes me just how much care goes into each and every animal, let alone the perseverance of Dr. Yetter and staff (I should call them family) in working out how to treat each and every problem.”
— Chris Johnson